Our American Academic Program is for students who wish to experience an Irish elementary or high school for a term or a full academic year.
Located in Athlone, County Westmeath, in the heart of Ireland, Shannon Academy offers an exciting Academic Program to students looking to advance themselves academically and personally. It is a fantastic opportunity for teenagers to flourish and grow.
The American Academic Program allows students to immerse themselves fully in Irish culture and life.
At Shannon Academy, we put great emphasis on teaching independence, responsibility, self-esteem and personal development.
Our goal is that all of our students feel part of the Shannon Academy community. We aim to deliver our programs in a positive and enthusiastic manner, and provide a friendly and safe environment for students to grow and mature.
Advantages and Benefits to Studying in Ireland
• Personal development and growth
• Learning new life skills
• A new cultural experience
• Appreciation of a different country’s academic life
• Opportunity to visit new places
• Build relationships with new people
• Learn responsibility and independence
• Develop self-awareness and self-direction for future experiences
• Ireland is renowned for its high standard of education
• Full attention is given to individual student needs
• Full room and board with an Irish family
• Immersion in Irish culture with host family
• Experience the beauty and adventure that Ireland has to offer
• Learn about Irish heritage and culture
• Holistic program planning – this means the focus is not only on the academic but also on extracurricular activities and experiences based on the student’s interests, including Irish music, arts, sport and cultural activities.
Students on our American Academic Program receive a welcome pack and student handbook on arrival. This pack outlines information regarding the school, emergency numbers, the town and its amenities.
For the duration of the stay, students attend an Irish elementary or high school and participate in the normal academic program with their Irish classmates. Students are closely monitored and cared for by our staff at all times.
Students attend classes from Monday to Friday, and are placed in the grades which correspond to their level back home.
Each student is assigned a personal tutor. The tutor visits students and offers support by keeping continuous contact during their stay.
The tutor completes a term report sheet for parents outlining the student’s progress in their personal development, academic work and social development.
Students stay with carefully selected Irish host families and immerse themselves fully into family life. All host families must meet the highest standards of the Irish health and safety authorities, and are police vetted.
Staying with a host family allows students to experience everyday Irish family life. Our host families have an exceptional reputation for their warm and friendly approach. Students are welcomed with open arms and considered a member of the household.
Students with religious values will be matched with a family who attend church regularly and are part of their local religious community.
Host family accommodation includes full board. Students receive breakfast, a packed lunch for school and an evening meal.
Over the course of their stay with us, we see noticeable changes as students mature into hard working, confident young adults with a better understanding of the world around them.