Our American Academic Programme is for students who wish to experience an Irish elementary or high school for a term or a full academic year.
Shannon Academy’s Cultural Programs place emphasis on teaching independence, responsibility, self-esteem and personal development. From our years of experience working with young people from all over the world, we see students grow in confidence with a greater appreciate for the world around them. They build new relationships with Irish students and share in new friendships and bonds that last beyond the program.
Students avail of the opportunity to immerse themselves fully in Irish culture and Irish life.
Shannon Academy resides in the centre of Ireland, Athlone, Co. Westmeath, just and hour and 20 minutes from Dublin and less than an hour from Galway. Shannon Academy offers an exciting American Academic Program to students aged 15-17-year-olds looking to advance academically and personally. It is a fantastic opportunity for young people to flourish and grow.
Benefits to Studying Aboard
• Personal development
• Learning life skills
• A new cultural experience
• Appreciation and awareness of a different country’s academic/cultural life
• Ability to visit new places
• Build relationships with new people
• Learn responsibility and independence
• Determine self-awareness and self-direction for future experiences
All our students feel part of the Shannon Academy community. We aim to deliver our courses in a fun and enthusiastic manner and provide a positive, friendly and safe environment for students to grow and mature.
Advantages to Studying in Ireland
• Effective high standard educational syllabus
• Full attention to individual student needs
• Full room and board with an Irish family
• Engagement with Irish educational classroom setting
• Immersion in Irish culture with their host family
• Experience the beauty and adventure of Ireland’s landscape
• Learn about Irish heritage and culture
• Ability to grow personally and enjoy their experience
• Holistic program planning – this means the focus not only on academic but also extracurricular activities and experiences based on their interests including Irish music, the arts, sport and cultural activities.
Students receive a welcome pack and student handbook on arrival. This pack outlines information regarding the school, emergency numbers, Athlone and its amenities. It will also contain an Athlone town map.
For the duration of the stay, students attend an Irish elementary or high school and participate in the normal academic programme with their fellow Irish classmates.
Students attend classes Monday to Friday, which corresponds to their grade level in America.
Students are assigned a personal tutor. The tutor visits them and offers support by keeping continuous contact during their stay.
They complete a term report sheet for parents outlining the student’s progress in their personal development, academic work and social development.
Selected Irish host families provide academic accommodation. All host families most meet the highest standards of Irish Health & Safety authorities and are are police vetted. A host family allows students to experience an Irish family everyday culture. Our host families have an exceptional reputation for their warm and welcoming greeting. Students are welcomed with open arms and considered a member of the household.
Students with Catholic values will be matched with a family who attend mass regularly.
Host family accommodation includes full board. Students receive breakfast, packed lunch for school and an evening dinner.